Tuesday, December 7, 2004

the david Milne family is in California by 1870 but all children born in Ontario. Can I find either marriages or births for the 1850-60 date. They give no town only Ontario as place of birth. Parents born Scotland.

Before venturing into Ontario research exhaust all leads that may give you a specific place of birth: death records, marriage records, newspaper notices, naturalization records, military records. Look at all the siblings, if you find a place of birth for one you have a place to start looking for the others.

Births & marriages were not required to be registered until 1869, so for earlier births & marriages you will have to look at church records (which means you'll need to know their religion AND the place where they were born). There are some marriage registrations available from the 1830's and can be found organized by county, so you will need to know the county of origin unless you have the time and resources to check them all. Another option is the 1861 census but again you should know where to look.

Tuesday, November 30, 2004

I've come upon a reference to another brother (Robert Watt) of our gggfather (Andrew) who emigrated from Ireland about 1850 and was reported to have been "lockmaster at the Soo", most likely before 1900. I've Googled all I can think of and checked the Sault St. Marie library...who might I contact to see if this is true and if they have information on him?

Was he lockmaster at Sault Ste Marie, Ontario or Sault Ste Marie, Michigan? Have you tried contacting the current lockmaster and asking where employment records would be kept? If he was lockmaster in Ontario go to: Sault Ste. Marie Canal National Historic Site of Canada, if Michigan go to: Soo Locks. Also check out Downward Bound, a website for those seeking persons who worked in the shipping industry on the Great Lakes.

Wednesday, November 17, 2004

i have been researching my family tree. i live in scotland and am having great difficulty finding any information on the where adouts of the family i have over there. i have an address from 1957 names but still seem to get no where. i was wondering if you could give me any tips as all the ones i have tried are failing my and i would really like to get in touch with anyone who could help.

Given the 1957 time frame you're up against a challenge - Canada has privacy laws that don't allow access to certain genealogy records. However there are places you can look. Start with the address & time period you have and become familiar with the resources available in that area. What libraries and genealogy societies there can help you? What is available at your local library or LDS family history centre (it's surprising how many don't check their local resources - you can always request material from other countries if it's been microfilmed!). Check newspapers, city directories, and phone directories where they lived. Put an advertisement in the newspaper of that area - if there are any family members still living there they might spot it. Check Canada411 to see if anyone by that name still lives in or near the area.

Thursday, September 9, 2004

In researching my husband's family in Simcoe County, references are made to one being buried in FLANDERS FIELDS, another was a MASTER MARINER (I would assume on the Great Lakes), and the third, at one time drove on the WASSAGA STAYNOR STAGECOACH. Any suggestions on how to proceed on the above information. Thank you.

From Shelley: Your relation that was a Master Mariner, could have been the Captain of a ship or ferry. Wasaga is on the shores of Georgian Bay, and not far from Collingwood. Collingwood was a ship building town, unfortunately they no longer build ships there. Stayner is south of Collingwood and south west of Wasaga Beach. You could try either posting the information on one of the numerous free genealogy sites. Post under the surname or the areas that have to do with your queries. Good luck.

Wednesday, September 8, 2004

How can I find out where someone is buried in Hawkesbury, Ontario, Canada?

Same as you would find out where someone is buried elsewhere - cemetery records, obituaries, funeral records. Other options include OCFA (Ontario Cemetery Finding Aid) and the OGS (Ontario Genealogical Society) branch that covers your area of research. When writing to any society requesting information always include an SAE and 2 IRC's as a courtesy. Not all requests are fulfilled for free so be prepared to pay a nominal fee for their time.

My grandfathers brother Rickard Nordstrom emigrating to Canada, Ontario, around 1913. There are pictures of Rickard in a book called "Rock, Fur, Forest and Trees." It is a history of the area where Richard Emanuel Nordstrom lived. I think the name of the writer is Ronnie Rhind. Where can I buy this book or have copies from it?

Call your local bookstore, visit Amazon.ca, Chapters.ca and other such large bookstores. Also call specialty bookstores and request a search for this book. Meanwhile, visit your local library and put in an inter-library loan request. If you live near a college or university, do the same - you may not be able to borrow or request the book if you're not a student or faculty member but you can at least find out where the book is, and then have your local library request it.

My fathers grandfather came from Sweden to Canada 1911, how can I find his now living relatives? (Per Lindberg was born 1853, he died 1913 in Fort William, Ont, Canada).

Through obituaries (they list who's still living & where - follow the obits from old to new), city directories, phone books, funeral records. See our Check List and try any resource that would apply to those still living.

I am trying to find more information about an article that appeared in St Catherine's Journal, Ontario, 10/9/1859. The article was about the funeral of a child of an Oswego (New York) Irishman. (I'm trying to find the name of that gentleman.) Do you know of a good way to find a reprint of this paper?

If the newspaper was microfilmed you should be able to reprint the article. Head to your local library and ask if they have "Union List of Newspapers Held by Canadian Libraries" published by the National Library of Canada. It gives a listing of the newspapers available.

I am trying to locate parentage of my great great grandfather who was orphaned c. 1855 in Quebec area and indentured to a farm. Is there any data on indentured orphans anywhere?

From Carla Johnson - I had the same problem. I got ahold of my ggggrandfathers death certificate and his parents names were on it. If you can't find it there, try church records.

Is there a listing of what family trees have been worked on in Ontario and by who? I have been working on the Dewar Families in the County of Glengarry and often wondered who is working on what family trees and if there is a way to tie in my research with some one else.

No, but we do offer Surnames of Ontario to allow researchers worldwide to state their Ontario surname interests. Plus there are other forums that allow you to post what surnames you are researching. Paul Sheat's suggests the Rootsweb Surname Forum

I would like to do some research on the Land Titles & Registry in Ontario. Where it started, when it started, how it started, etc. I worked in the Port Arthur Land Titles & Registry Office 50 years ago, & at that time it was under the Attorney General's Department of Ontario. I don't think it is now, but I would like any help on how I could get information about the beginnings of the Offices in Ontario. Thanks in Advance

[From Cathy] Originally all land in Ontario belonged to the Crown. Although there were small areas of settlement in 1763 after the British took over, major settlement of Upper Canada began in 1783 and utilized Crown Grants. Many early settlers, both military and civilian, submitted land petitions to the Governor in order to obtain Crown land. Up to 1826 free land grants were available to all settlers, to government favourites, and to UEL children. In 1826 these free grants were abolished except Loyalist grants and soldiers, and anyone wanting Crown land had to buy it. Here is a useful web page with more information on that: http://olivetreegenealogy.com/can/ont/land.shtml

Are there records for immigrants who landed in Canada at Grosse Ile, if so, where are they located and are they on film? Thanks.

Yes there are. Some can be found at Immigrants at Grosse-Île

My Ontario family was involved in the building of the CPR across Canada. What are some ways that I can learn about their experience?

See: CPR Archives

Would there be like city directories to the Toronto areas. I cannot find any info without the proper dates but I know my great grandmother lived and died there up to mid 1940's.

Yes, there are city directories for most of Ontario's cities. This topic is covered on our City Directories page.

I would like a copy of my ggfathers naturalization record. I have all the information plus the naturalization number. So in a sense, it really isn't a search. Would I still have to pay the $75.00 they require to do a search?

According to the CIC Fee Schedule the fee for a search and the fee for a certificate without search are the same.

2010 Update:
For $5 you can apply for and receive Naturalizations Records between the years 1915-1932 using the LAC online index. You will have to provide proof of death when applying.

A census lists my ancestor as being born in "Canada ENG" - where is that?

That's difficult to answer as it has many meanings. The assumed answer would be Ontario, but that may not be entirely correct. It's safer to guess that it means your ancestor was born in Canada and their mother tongue was English. It doesn't narrow down the location but it also doesn't have you looking at just Ontario when you should also be looking at other English speaking areas of Canada (like the Maritimes). On the flip side if your ancestor was born "Canada French" assume it means they were born in Canada and their mother tongue was French (this again would not restrict your search to Quebec but to all French speaking areas)

Saturday, August 28, 2004

my father was born on Jan. 5th 1948 in Fort Williams ONTario. He was adopted shortly after birth. HE recently has passed and we just found out that he was adopted. His adopted parents are also passed. I would like to find out the name of his birth mother. How would i go about this???

Contact the Adoption Disclosure Register, they'll be able to help you.

Adoption Disclosure Register
Ministry of Community and Social Services/Ministry of Children's Services
2 Bloor Street West, 24th Floor
Toronto, Ontario M7A 1E9
Tel: (416) 327-4730
Fax: (416) 327-0573

[From Cathy] You could also check out adoption reunion registries. There maybe an aunt or uncle looking for you - even cousins. Here is the best one for Canadians. It is free.

Thursday, July 29, 2004

I am in Romania. I know that my father emigrated in Canada, Ontario, Copetown in 1977. I want to find him but I don't know how to begin. I don't know if he leaves or not anymore.

Start where you are. Are there any relatives who might have an address for your father? Have you contacted the emigration officials in Romania? They should have record of his departure from Romania and where he first went to in Canada. Have you contacted the Canadian Embassy in Romania?

Copetown is part of the City of Hamilton. You can use Canada411 (http://www.canada411.com) to see if he has a phone number or address.

If all the above fail, try hiring a "private detective" or research service.

Friday, July 9, 2004

How do I find out if someone married, and died in Ontario between 1930-1940. where to write, how many years will be searched, and cost? Thanks

If this someone married 82+ years ago or died 72+ years ago you can search the Ontario Vital Statistics for their marriage and/or death registration (available at LDS Family History Centres worldwide, as well as libraries with access to inter-library loan). If they married or died within the past 82/72 years you will have to apply to the Registrar General's Office in Thunder Bay and provide proof that you are next-of-kin. They will do a 3-5 year search for a fee on top of the certificate fee. See Ontario.ca for more information about the process & fees. For more information on marriages & deaths see our vital statistics page and cemetery records page for more information.

Friday, May 7, 2004

I would like to obtain a copy of my deceased grandfathers birth certificate. He was born in London, Ontario in 1912 before emigrating to UK. Can i do this and who do i contact.

Births that occurred less than 92 years ago are protected under the Privacy Act and can only be obtained by next-of-kin or the executor of the estate (proof required). Births that occurred 92+ years ago are available on microfilm worldwide through LDS Family History Centres, online images are available through an Ancestry subscription. Please see the Birth Records page on this site.

Sunday, April 25, 2004

Is it true that once our parents are deceased we are entitled to the information? I am adopted, but my birth mother was also adopted, which prevents me from going back any further. Her parents are long deceased, and I have just learned that my mother died 7 years ago. Can I get HER birth information, to find MY roots? What do I need to access this information? Thanks for your help.

To the first question: Due to the Privacy Act no one is 'entitled' to birth information on any person born within the past 92 years other than themselves or their minor children. The exception is those who have power of attorney over the person in question, or executors/next-of-kin seeking information on a deceased person (proof of death and proof of your relationship to the person is required).

Your other questions are difficult to answer as your situation involves two adoptions. Contact the Adoption Disclosure Register, they'll know how to help you.

Adoption Disclosure Register
Ministry of Community and Social Services/Ministry of Children's Services
2 Bloor Street West, 24th Floor
Toronto, Ontario M7A 1E9
Tel: (416) 327-4730
Fax: (416) 327-0573

Friday, April 16, 2004

Friday, April 9, 2004

A great aunt died of alcoholic dementia at 999 Queen Street,Toronto. How could I find the address of her husband when she died and where she was buried in the hope of finding what became of him.

Records from the Queen Street Mental Health Centre are held at the Archives of Ontario. Depending upon the year your great aunt died, you may be able to access those records (more info). As for her husband, unless you know the city/town where he/they lived there isn't much you can do if they were living past the 1901 census (if living prior to the 1901 census check census records). If you know the city check their local directories or telephone books.