Thursday, July 29, 2004

I am in Romania. I know that my father emigrated in Canada, Ontario, Copetown in 1977. I want to find him but I don't know how to begin. I don't know if he leaves or not anymore.

Start where you are. Are there any relatives who might have an address for your father? Have you contacted the emigration officials in Romania? They should have record of his departure from Romania and where he first went to in Canada. Have you contacted the Canadian Embassy in Romania?

Copetown is part of the City of Hamilton. You can use Canada411 ( to see if he has a phone number or address.

If all the above fail, try hiring a "private detective" or research service.

Friday, July 9, 2004

How do I find out if someone married, and died in Ontario between 1930-1940. where to write, how many years will be searched, and cost? Thanks

If this someone married 82+ years ago or died 72+ years ago you can search the Ontario Vital Statistics for their marriage and/or death registration (available at LDS Family History Centres worldwide, as well as libraries with access to inter-library loan). If they married or died within the past 82/72 years you will have to apply to the Registrar General's Office in Thunder Bay and provide proof that you are next-of-kin. They will do a 3-5 year search for a fee on top of the certificate fee. See for more information about the process & fees. For more information on marriages & deaths see our vital statistics page and cemetery records page for more information.