Monday, February 18, 2013

Sunday, February 10, 2013

I am trying desperately to find information about my maternal grandfather. His name was Robert Spence. His death occurred somewhere between 1945 and 1955. What route should I take to obtain the information I require.

You can request a death records search from Service Ontario and use the result to order a death certificate.  Anyone can apply for a short form death certificate but next-of-kin (proof required) can request a long form which will be certified and include more information.

Thursday, February 7, 2013

My husband's parents died and were buried in the Peterborough area in the 1980's. The family can't recall the name of the cemetery. How can we find out where they are buried?

Start by searching the available online cemetery websites such as CanadaGenWeb's Cemetery Project, OCFA, OGS and The Canadian Gravemarker Gallery.

If none yield results contact the local branch of the Ontario Genealogy Society.  Each OGS branch has compiled cemetery transcripts for their area.

You could also locate their obituaries to see if a cemetery was mentioned and contact local funeral homes to see which one may have handled the service.

Monday, February 4, 2013

My uncle name was Edward Conway born 1921 died 1945, in India served in the Canadian army. Married to Gladys Margaret Conway of London, Ontario. My question is how do I go about finding their children, and their children's children.

First, check out our How can I find someone in Ontario who may, or may not be deceased? post as the tips included there will work here as well.

To the list of things to check include London city directories (available at London Public Library). Start with the last known year of contact (1945?) and search forward to see if they remained in the city or not.

If Edward died while serving in the Canadian Army you can request a copy of his service file from Library & Archives Canada.