Sunday, January 1, 2006

I need help with copyright laws in Ontario, for newspaper obituaries. I have transcribed numerous obits/bmds and want to understand if there are any copyright laws I need to worry about when posting the information on my website. I was not charged for the information (only photocopy costs) and I am not charging for the information. I would obviously site the source with the records...but do I need to worry about anything?

Courtesy of Allan via Bryan Cantley of the Canadian Newspaper Association - Copyright subsists in any original work. An obituary can contain original work unless it is a basic "John Doe of such and such address died on January 21, 2006". Even though copyright may subsist in an obituary that merely means that the original expression cannot be copied to any substantial degree. The facts in the obituary however can be copied or repeated.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got a better answer or further advice? Post a comment!