Monday, August 16, 1999

I believe that my ancestor, an agriculture laborer came from England to Ontario and that his may have been an assisted passage. I understand that the Ontario government around 1872 was paying these people to come if they would stay a specific time. Can anyone tell me if there are records existing of these passages and where I can access them.

The government did pay by assisting with the passage. However, I have researched this type of data and have not found any list of people. Usually they were sent over by some group or organization and the organization submitted the report to the government for payment (usually something like, 125 @$2.00/each). This was done with the home children as well. On my web page you will find a letter from a party in 1870 sent out by the Clerkenwell group. (From Marj Kohli)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got a better answer or further advice? Post a comment!