Friday, January 8, 1999

I am in England. Where can I find copies of the b,m,d registers of Niagara in 1780 and early 1790s. I know this area was ceded to the USA in 1797 but I think I have both a g-g-grandmother born there and her parents married there. The Mormons do not appear to have microfilms of these. Do they still exist? If I draw a blank there any lists of bmd regsietres elsewhere in Upper Canada available.

Note that Fort Niagara, which is on the east or American side of the Niagara River and therefore situated in New York State, was ceded to the Americans following the American Revolution in the 1770s. It didn't officially change hands until 1797. But nothing else was ceded. In fact, the War of 1812, in which the US invaded Canada, was fought and won by the British in defence of Niagara and Upper Canada. (Thanks to Mark McGarry!). If you're looking for information on the area that was ceded you would be seeking US records, not Canadian records. For Canadian Niagara info, please click here , as for Upper Canada registers, try the Eva Brook Donnelly Museum or the Toronto Reference Library

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got a better answer or further advice? Post a comment!